The Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) is raising awareness about forced marriage across the public sector. They provide expert advice to professionals, especially those confronted by forced marriage for the first time.
- Broad programme of public speaking and outreach work
- Train staff in how they can help victims of forced marriage
- Started an awareness raising programme for registrars have produced multi-
agency guidelines for the police, children and adult social care, health, housing
Support and advice to Middle Eastern (Iranian, Kurdish, Arab, Afghan and Turkish) women and girls living in the UK who are facing forced marriage, “honour” based violence, FGM and domestic abuse.
- They offer advice in Farsi/Dari, Kurdish, Arabic, Turkish, Pashto and English Counselling
- They run a free counselling service in Farsi/Dari, Kurdish and English Training for Women
- Provide training for women to help them understand their rights in the UK
- They also have a partnership with the Refugee Women Association where they assist survivors of violence with assessing English language classes, education, training and employment opportunities, so that they can become financially independent.
A support group for girls aged 16-25 that meet once a month to discuss issues they decide on.
- Training for professionals
- Advice and training for professionals from public and voluntary sector
To empower South Asian, Turkish and Iranian women who are experiencing domestic violence with culturally sensitive advice, support and safe housing – enabling them to make positive and appropriate choices for themselves.
To raise awareness of domestic violence and carry out preventive work with the community as a whole.
(FORWARD) Foundation for Women’s Health Research and Development
Foundation for Women’s Health Research and Development is an African Diaspora women led UK registered campaign and support charity dedicated to advancing and safeguarding the sexual and reproductive health and rights of African girls and women.
FORWARD works in the UK, Europe and Africa to help change practices and policies that affect access, dignity and well-being.
FORWARD also tackles female genital mutilation (FGM), child marriage and related rights of girls and young women.
Providing specialist advice and programmes
They provide specialist advice and undertake innovative programmes and projects.
Empowering women and girls
They help develop leadership and skills of women and girls to support change.
Information sharing and resource development.
FORWARD conducts participatory research and develops resources and information to inform policy and practice.
Public education and training
FORWARD promotes public awareness and equips professionals with skills and tools to support change and safeguard girls at risk.
Policy advocacy and campaigning
FORWARD is the lead agency working to tackle FGM in the UK. They campaign for effective policies and resources to support women and girls affected by FGM and child marriage.
Supports Latin American women or women from other Portuguese/Spanish speaking countries
Latin American Women’s Aid (LAWA) supports women and children fleeing from domestic violence through advice, advocacy and emergency accommodation. We empower women to lead an independent life, be aware of their rights and provide their children with a hopeful future.
General Line: 020 7275 0321
Emergency Line (Office Hours): 07958 536242
Freephone 24 hrs National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247
LAWRS supports Latin American women in the UK to achieve personal change and live their lives free from abuse, through specialist advice, information and tools to enable them to adapt and grow including ESOL classes.